A beautiful rural area steeped in history that has been used for farming and agriculture for hundreds of years. Surely a completely unacceptable area for a modern housing development.12__320x240_commonmap

Engine Common itself is used for farming crops, livestock and grazing horses. A huge array of wildlife populates the land, hedgerows and trees. Protected Oaks line many of the fields offering sanctuary for owls and deer.

The lanes around Engine Common are used for all types of recreational activities. Horse riding, cycling, jogging and walking to name but a few.

Literally a few minutes from the edges of Yate, a walk along Dyers Lane / Mission Road / Chaingate Lane feels like the middle of the countryside.

The area inside the red outline on the map to the right shows the area that is under consideration to be developed.

Some History

Iron Acton is a small village in South GloucestershireEngland. Located about halfway between Yate and Frampton Cotterell, it is bypassed by the B4058 road. The village lies south of Latteridge via the B4059, and borders the small village of Nibley.

3__320x240_dscf0576-resizedThe ‘iron’ part of the name originates from the mining ofiron that used to take place near the village, whilst ‘acton’ means “town with many oak trees”; and still today there is an oak wood within the village alongside the River Frome.

Shortly after the Norman conquest, the family of Acton held the manor of Iron Acton. It descended through several generations to Sir John Acton who died in 1344. His estates passed to his cousin Maud and it is here where the Poyntz connection begins. Maud was the second wife of Sir Nicholas Poyntz who had died in 1312. He had been dead for many years and Maud was an elderly woman when the estates passed into the family. The Iron Acton estates the passed to her son Sir John Poyntz and from 1344 continued son succeeding father until the death of Sir John Poyntz in 1680. He was the last of the family to be Lord of the Manor and after his death the manor was split up and Acton Court was sold to William Playes esq. Henry VIII. The king and his second wife, Anne Boleyn, visited the house in 1535, during a tour of the West Country.

The area inside the red outline on the map to the right shows the area that is under consideration to be developed.